NATURE AND SCOPE
This is a technical services position that reports directly to the Fire Marshal and Administrative Deputy Chief. The fire inspector will be responsible for completing fire and life safety inspections, pre-plans, and the associated paperwork.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Enforcement of adopted Model Codes, State Laws, and Local Ordinances
- Provide technical advice to Department Staff, Building/Business Owners and the general public on the interpretation or application of the Model Codes.
- Reviewing plans for new and existing buildings, installed fire protection systems, and site review to assure compliance with all applicable adopted Codes and Ordinances of the District.
- Schedules, coordinates and performs fire and life safety inspections, and issues fire permits.
- Prepares inspections reports.
- Maintains statistics and records of inspections.
- Identifies corrective actions to be taken by business owners and monitors activities to ensure conformance with codes, laws and
- Investigates and documents complaints of violation of national, state and local laws, ordinances and codes within the purview of the Fire Department.
- Identifies violations of other Village codes and regulations and notifies appropriate Village officials.
- Attends administrative hearings as required.
- Provides regular inspections of construction projects.
- Prepares a variety of written reports.
- Ability to maintain proper mental capacity and control for effective interaction, communication and to present a positive attitude towards others.
- Use of electronic media for documentation and record keeping
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY & SKILLS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two (2) years of experience in fire suppression and/or fire prevention inspection or other related work.
- Valid Illinois Class D Driver’s License
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, Access, and Publisher
- Certified Fire Inspector 1 from one of the following:
- State of Illinois Office of State Fire Marshal
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- International Code Council (ICC)
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING
- Fire Inspector 2 (State, NFPA, or ICC)
- Fire and Life Safety Educator (Illinois OSFM)
- Basic/Advanced Fire Prevention Officer (Illinois OSFM)
- Sufficient training and experience which demonstrates the possession of the knowledge and abilities or the ability to gain the experience, training, and knowledge required to perform the essential job functions.
- Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This work can be physically demanding and is performed primarily in industrial, commercial, or business occupancies that require walking, climbing of ladders, stooping, and maneuvering around large equipment and processes. The candidate will be utilizing and carrying a tablet computer to perform his duties, will be in industrial buildings that utilize chemicals, hazardous processes, and a variety of environmental elements.