Battalion Chief – Harlem-Roscoe Fire Protection District
Competitive Pay: $80,000 – $95,000*
*Based on experience and certifications
As a member of the fire department management team, this position commands and directs all firefighting, EMS and other related operations on an assigned shift of the Harlem Roscoe Fire Protection District. This position is exempt for FLSA purposes to the maximum extent as allowed by law, works 24 hour shifts and involves responsibility for responding to all multiple company responses and assuming command of incidents district wide, Battalion Chiefs report to the Deputy Chief and are expected to exercise independent judgement and initiative, contribute to and implement strategic direction, and in the absence of superior officers, act as the senior ranking officer of the Fire Department. This positon is substantially different from subordinate ranks, as the Battalion Chief, in the interest of Harlem Roscoe Fire Protection District, has the authority to, or effectively recommend, employee work assignments, direct the work of others, implement discipline, set daily station assignments, evaluate worker productivity, and handle complaints. Work in this position requires extensive managerial knowledge, effective teamwork, and independent decision making. This position is a full-time contract position. On recommendation of the Fire Chief, this position is approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Ensures the operational readiness and preparedness of shift personnel and apparatus/equipment.
- Determines the daily shift assignments and staffing requirements and make changes when necessary.
- Responds to all general alarms.
- Fulfills an active responsibility in the career development, training, and evaluation of subordinate personnel.
- Mentors, counsels, and appropriately enforces department policies.
- Coordinates post incident analysis and critiques.
- Reviews incident reports on a daily basis to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Provides quality control assurance on all NFIRS reports and ensures compliance.
- Investigates vehicle accidents involving HRFD and employee injuries.
- Delegates assignments and supervises duties and activities of subordinates.
- Represents the department on committees and other cooperative programs.
- Works with other Battalion Chiefs/Shift Commanders to ensure operational effectiveness and consistency within all areas of the department.
- Attends staff meetings, officer meetings, officer trainings and department trainings.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of Fire, EMS, Disaster Management Programs of the District in order to better carry out the polices and goals of the District.
- Investigates grievances from officers and firefighters. Maintains departmental discipline and the conduct and general behavior of personnel by enforcing and complying with Directives, Standard Operating Guidelines and District Policies.
- Prepares, daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Actively participate in the promotion of the department through department sponsored events and those sponsored by the firefighter association.
- Responds off duty as directed.
- Performs related tasks and assignments as assigned by the Fire Chief or his/her designee
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
Position Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- OSFM Certified Fire Officer II or Advanced Fire Officer.
- OSFM Certified Firefighter III or Advanced Technical Firefighter.
- Possess a valid state of Illinois Driver’s license.
- Possess a minimum EMS licensing level of EMT – Basic.
- Possess a valid CPR card.
- Be capable of reading, speaking and writing the English language.
- Meet and maintain knowledge, health and physical qualifications established by the District.
- Have OSFM Chief Fire Officer if not, successfully complete and obtain the OSFM Chief Fire Officer certification within three (3) years of appointment.
- Completion of NIMS IS100, IS200, IS300, IS400, IS700 and IS800 at time of appointment.
- Understanding of managing budgets and projects.
- Understanding of HIPPA laws, rules and guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to work well with subordinates and supervisors.
- Highly productive work ethic.
- Must pass an extensive background check.
- Must pass a health screening and physical.
Preferred qualifications and experience:
- A Bachelors or Associate’s degree is desirable or work experience specific to the position that exhibits qualification (incident command, managing multiple companies) as a Battalion Chief/shift commander managing multiple people and multiple projects.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the fire service with a minimum of five (5) years at the rank of lieutenant or higher. Years of service at the rank of Lieutenant or above must be with a department of comparable size or larger to the Harlem Roscoe Fire Protection District.
- Previous Paramedic education, training and licensure is desirable or work experience specific to Emergency Medical Services, directing, managing and performing effective patient care. Current licensure as a Paramedic is preferred but not required.
The environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Work is performed both indoor (office, meetings, training sessions) and outdoor settings, in all weather conditions, including temperature extremes, during day and night. The Battalion Chief typically works a 24 hour shift and occasionally works extended and/or irregular hours.
As a supervisor, the employee leads by example. The employee must be available and present for work as scheduled, be on call as ordered or needed in an emergency. Will always perform all functions of the job safely and efficiently in compliance with safety regulations, guidelines and policies. As a supervisor, the employee ensures that personnel are present as scheduled, or as ordered or deeded, and always perform all functions in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safety regulations, guidelines and policies.
The physical effort required may involve standing/walking for long periods, regularly lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds, occasionally lifting/carrying objects weighing more than 150 pounds, pushing, pulling objects, climbing stairs and ladders, reaching, bending, handling/grasping objects, and hearing communication. The Battalion Chief is occasionally required to work near moving mechanical parts and in high precarious places. Some of these conditions may require that various types of personal protective equipment be worn for varying durations.
The examples of duties are intended as illustration of the various types of work performed and are subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.